[2 July 2012] – Members of the UK Parliament have welcomed the publication of a hard-hitting report by senior British lawyers on the treatment of Palestinian children under Israeli military law.
The report – funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office – found that Israel is in breach of a series of articles under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Fourth Geneva Convention, including article 76 which prohibits the forcible transfer of children to prisons located inside Israel.
A parliamentary motion has been tabled in the House of Commons welcoming the report and calling on the Foreign Secretary to act to ensure Israel complies in practice with international law relating to the treatment of children.
The motion was tabled by Richard Burden MP, who chairs the Britain-Palestine All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG), and has been signed by MPs from across six political parties.
• The Independent – Nothing resonates like the mistreatment of minors
• The Guardian – Israel subjecting Palestinian children to ‘spiral of injustice’
• The Independent – UK ready to take on Israel over fate of children clapped in irons
• The Jewish Chronicle – Israel ‘in breach on international law’ over child detainees
• Channel 4 News – Israel ‘breaches rights of Palestinian children’
• BBC News – Israel ‘breaching UN convention on children’s rights
• Sydney Morning Herald – British lawyers condemn Israeli injustice on Palestinian minors
• DCI-Palestine - Bound, Blindfolded and Convicted
• B’Tselem – No Minor Matter
• Breaking the Silence – Video testimonies: Everything was filmed